Date: 14th July 2008 at 11:32pm
Written by:

The Silkmen were narrowly beaten by Blackburn who firleded a strong side at the Moss Rose.

Martin Gritton scored for the Silkmen to make the score 2-1 after David Dunn had opened the scoring just before half time and Paul Gallagher hit a second just after the break.

With the strongest side for both clubs playing in the first half, the Silkmen were certainly no pushovers against top flight opposition.

Although the first work done by a Keeper game from Jon Brain, who had to gather a Matt Derbyshire strike at the second attempt, it was Friedel who was the busier of the two keepers for much of the half.

A Terry Dunfield free-kick was fumbled as the Canadian tried to better the American, but with Franny Green closing in, Friedel managed to smother the loose ball.

Shaun Hessey then forced him to tip the ball athletically over the bar with a free kick which evaded everyone. Franny Green had also managed to beat his defender for pace only to flick the ball well wide.

Benni McCarthy saw a shot crashing off the outside of the post before the visitors took the lead just before the break. David Dunne, who had been running all of Blackburn’s attacks, jinked past three Macc defenders and rolled the ball into the far corner with pinpoint accuracy to give Brain no chance.

The second half saw wholesale changes from Blackburn at the break, and Macc also made several changes through the half.

And the score was 2-0 just seconds into the half when the combination of the pace of Tony Kane and a slow start by the home side tore the Macc defence open down the right. Gallagher’s far post header should have been dealt with by Brain, but he fluffed his lines and could only parry into his own goal.

The lead only lasted for three minutes however as Izak Reid’s excellent run down the right provided a low cross to Martin Gritton who sidefooted home his second goal of the campaign.

The Silkmen then also started making changes to the side and the game was played out in a largely good tempered way, apart from Blackburn’s Doran, who had to be reminded on a couple of occasions that this was only a friendly after some rather late tackles and was subbed off.

Jon Brain was able to recover from his earlier error with a fantastic low save to his left from a powerful free-kick and was also on hand to swallow up the odd long shot.

Macc’s best chance in the second half fell late on to Gareth Evans who showed tremendous skill to turn his man and break free, but shot into the side-netting.

MACCLESFIELD: Brain (Imerson), Reid, Deen (Jennings) Hessey, Walker, Brisley (Rooney), Bell Millar), Dunfield (Hadfield), Gritton (Evans), Green (Yeo), Thomas (Harvey).

Subs not used: Blackman, Flynn.

ROVERS 1st half: Friedel, Reid, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Derbyshire, Dunn, Vogel, Pedersen, Roberts, McCarthy.

ROVERS 2nd half: Brown, Kane, Winnard, Khizanishvili, Olsson, Doran (Clarke), Judge, Hodge, Treacy, Gallagher, Rigters.

Attendance: 2034


One Reply to “Macclesfield 1-2 Blackburn”

  • was following this on Sky news….at least you gave them a good game….thought you would have had a bigger turn out than 2000 for the game….still only another 11 warm up games to go !!!…good luck with it all…..

Comments are closed.