Date: 19th December 2011 at 2:33pm
Written by:

League two round-up: 16th-17th December 2011

The latest weekend of the football league season has been and gone, the npower league two is rounded-up in this article.

Accrington 3-1 Torquay
Home advantage helped Accrington to a 3-1 win over Torquay.

Hughes (13) gave Accrington and early lead and when Torquay were reduced to 10-men before the break when Howe (39) was sent off the chances of a comeback were reduced. Shortly after the hour Stockley (62) extended the home sides lead although they too were reduced to 10-men with a little over 10-minutes to play when Joyce (78) saw red.

Long (89) secured the points although a consolation was scored by the visitors in injury-time when McPhee (90+1) struck, but it was not enough with Accrington running out 3-1 winners.

Burton 1-1 Dagenham
The points were shared between Burton and Dagenham in a 1-1 draw.

It was Dagenham, through Spillane (26), that took the lead into the half time break although Burton were level before the hour when Zola (54) scored. Dagenham played the final 30-minutes with 10-men when Ogogo (60) was sent off but still managed to secure a point.

Crewe 1-1 Crawley
Crewe might have played 75-minutes with only 10-men but they still held league leaders Crawley to a 1-1 draw at home.

Fletcher (9) gave Crewe an early lead but they soon then had Miller (15) sent off. Crawley made the most of this numerical advantage with Tubbs (31) equalising to earn the visitors a point.

Gillingham 4-1 Bristol Rovers
It was a good day at the office for Gillingham as they secured a 4-1 home win over Bristol Rovers.

First half goals from Montrose (8) early on and then deep into first half injury-time from Kedwell (45+5), from the penalty spot, had Gillingham in control. Carayol (52) reduced the deficit early in the second half but Jackman (68) added a third for the hosts midway through the half.

Bolger’s (73) sending off for the visitors made matters even harder with defeat confirmed when Kedwell (73) converted his second penalty of the game to settle matters.

Oxford 2-0 Northampton
Struggling Northampton came away from Oxford with nothing but a defeat.

The sides went into the half time break level but soon after the interval Craddock (50) gave Oxford the lead with a 2-0 win confirmed in the closing minutes when Smalley (87) struck.

Plymouth 1-1 Hereford
Plymouth had to settle for a home draw against Hereford, with a late penalty earning this.

After a goalless first half Hereford took the lead midway through the second half when Barkhuizen (67) struck. With time running out Chadwick (81) kept his nerve to score from the penalty spot and earn Plymouth a 1-1 draw.

Both sides ended with 10-men, the visitors seeing Townsend (86) sent off first for two yellow cards and then Purse (90+2) following him for the hosts with a straight red in injury-time.

Port Vale 4-0 Aldershot
Port Vale secured a convincing 4-0 home win over Aldershot.

The hosts went into the break ahead when Madjo (8) scored. A second half double from him (48 & 60) completed his hat-trick and had the hosts in the driving seat. Rigg (83) added another with time running out to round off proceedings.

Rotherham 1-0 AFC Wimbledon
The woes for AFC Wimbledon continued with another defeat, this time at Rotherham.

Half time saw the sides go into the break level and with a draw looking the most likely outcome a goal from Wood (78) proved enough to give Rotherham a 1-0 win.

Shrewsbury 1-0 Macclesfield
Just the solitary goal divided Shrewsbury and Macclesfield with this in favour of the home side.

A goalless first half saw Shrewsbury take the lead shortly after the restart when Cansdell-Sherriff (49) struck, and it was that goal that gave the hosts a 1-0 win.

Swindon 3-0 Morecambe
Swindon continue to impress and collected another three points with a home win over Morecambe.

First half goals from Jervis (27) and De Vita (45+2), the second of which came in injury-time, put Swindon in control with a goal from Murray (76) completing a 3-0 win.

Barnet 2-2 Cheltenham
Barnet twice came from behind to secure a home draw against Cheltenham on Friday night.

Mohamed (32) gave Cheltenham the lead just after the half hour but Barnet were level less than 10-minutes later when McLeod (41) scored. The visitors still went into the break ahead though when Duffy (44) tucked away a spot kick a minute before half time to restore their lead.

On the hour McLeod (60) secured a point with his second goal of the game when he scored from the spot to earn a 2-2 draw.

Southend 0-1 Bradford
Southend’s miserable run continued with another defeat, this time at home to Bradford in league two on Friday night.

After going 17-matches unbeaten The Shrimpers were beaten in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, league two and in midweek the FA Cup – the last gasp defeat at Bradford made this four in a row and back-to-back league defeats.

With a draw looking highly likely Oliver (88) struck a couple of minutes from time to hand Bradford a 1-0 win.

Vital Football are currently looking for a site editor for this site.

Have you got the passion for your club? Are you over 18? Do you have experience in writing news and match reports? Or have you got a site that you want to move over to this exciting new network with free hosting and a content managed system on offer?

If so you could be just what we are looking for!

Apply To Be A Site Editor

You don’t have to be a site editor to contribute, if you have something to say on your club, simply submit it via the suggest an article link in the right hand side column.

For more information contact Jonathan on, and/or click on the advert above.